Colorado Saint Bernard Rescue
Training for the Colorado Saint Bernard Rescue
ITEMS YOU WILL NEED FOR EVERY TRAINING SESSION:
- Yourself and anyone else who will be involved in training and/or living with your dog.
- Your dog wearing a properly-fitted collar, a properly-fitted harness and a nylon or leather leash, 4-6 feet long. (Choke chains, correction collars, shock collars and retractable leashes are not allowed or advised)
*NOTE — a harness is required because it keeps the dog’s neck free from pressure or strain.
- Treats! 3 different types of treats: Level 1 Treat — kibble or dog biscuit, Level 2 Treat — your dog’s favorite treat and Level 3 Treat — ”HIGH VALUE” treats that your dog does not receive on a regular basis, such as… mozzarella string cheese, chicken breast, hot dogs, deli turkey or roast beef (low sodium), freeze-dried treats.
*Treats should be smaller than your pinky fingernail and you should have 1 — 2 cups of total treats on hand.
- Treat pouch is highly recommended. You will need some kind of bag from which you can swiftly and smoothly remove treats. The pouch should be secured to your body somehow, such as on a waist belt or hooked to a pocket so that your hands are free to work with the dog and the clicker.
Treats and treat pouches are provided by CSBR for all foster dogs and parents.
- Clicker — is a secondary reinforcer, or marking, that will be a key communicator as you train your dog. It’s a simple, inexpensive device but makes a big impact.
- Poop bags… We think this one is self-explanatory.
- Water and bowl, your dog needs to stay well-hydrated.
- Toy, bone, or chew to help keep your dog occupied during talk time or to use as additional motivators during training.
IMPORTANT—Please do NOT feed your dog before class!
A hungry dog is a motivated dog!